First Friday Adoration will NOT last overnight. We will have our usual starting Adoration starting after 9:15am Mass and continuing through the day and evening with a Taize Holy Hour from 7:30pm to 8:30pm.
Reminder: please do not respond to any emails from Fr. Barkett requesting assistance
Upcoming News and Announcements
- All high school students and their parents are invited to Sunday Night Live following the 5 PM Mass on Sunday in Farrell Hall. We will have dinner, a guest speaker, and a Parent’s Meeting packed with important info. We look forward to seeing you there!
- We are looking for a 2nd grade Catechist for the Sunday class. Please prayerfully consider responding to this call. Contact Aida Willis in RE.
- Adult Education Presents: Journey from Sin to Sanctity, An Invitation to the Virtues. A new series featuring our clergy, once a month on Tuesday evenings from 7-8:15pm in St Joseph’s Hall. Information in this weeks’ bulletin.
- Gabriel Project Baby Shower! The 11th annual Gabriel Project Baby Shower for expectant mothers is Saturday, September 25th. Please donate items through our Gabriel Project Baby Shower Registry at: https://www.amazon.com/baby-reg/smos-gabrielproject-september-2021-fairfax/1HJR8F0W061VG or contact Martha Mellor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consider joining the upcoming Walking with Purpose bible study – Opening Your Heart. It’s a great Bible study for women no matter where you are in your faith journey. We hope to offer two sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening on Thursday’s this fall.
- Parents of preschoolers or early learner Bible Study. We will study Unlocking the Mysteries of the Bible. We begin Wednesday, September 15th from 9:15 to 11:00 am in the Parish Center. For more information please contact Sharon at email@example.com or Michelle Huber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Chosen’s “Indescribable Compassion” will be shown in the Parish Center at 6:00pm on Saturday, Sept 25th. When the leper asks to be healed, how does Our Lord respond? Pizza and salad available before the movie.
- Thursday evening Scripture Study group via Google Meet:Word on Fire – The Mass. Seven weeks, 7-9pm, we’ll watch video together & discuss our answers to workbook questions. Purchase workbook from Word on Fire ($24.95 plus shipping). For more info, contact Barbara: email@example.com or 703-690-2503.
- St. Mary of Sorrows, Fairfax, VA will be hosting a Family and Generational Healing retreat by Fr. Christopher Onuoha, author of the well-researched and church approved book, Healing You and Your Family Tree, A Contemplative Approach to Personal and Generational Healing on Saturday, Sept. 25th, 2021, at the Parish Center from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Text and email scams using Fr. Barkett’s name are showing up. Please do not respond to any email or text asking for money, gift cards or help from Fr. Barkett.
- Please consider becoming an usher. There will be training in October and information is in the bulletin.
Welcome from our Pastor
On behalf of our parish family, welcome to St. Mary of Sorrows parish website! We would love for you to join us on Sunday, and everyday! Please look over our website and if we can be of help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me or a staff member. Our mission and vision statement is listed below to provide you with a deeper sense of our commitment to our Lord Jesus.
In Christ Through Mary,
Rev. James S. Barkett, Pastor
Thank you for your generous financial support during this difficult time! Please mail in or drop off your offertory checks to the Parish Center. You may also sign up with our electronic giving vendor, Parish Giving, here on our website. Thank you!